(905) 387-0143 | Our Location | Contact Us
75 Years of Brilliance - Established 1948
Fine Jewellery Sale Catalog
Buying a diamond is a very personal experience. Diamonds can be bought to signify love, significant accomplishments or milestones in your life. Unlike when you buy clothing, electronics, or cars, the features of a diamond may not seem quite so obvious to you. We would like to change that. The more you know about your diamond jewellery, the more confident you will feel when making your diamond jewellery choices. Take a moment to learn more about the 4Cs and find out how they play an important role in making your diamond jewellery unique.
The shape of the diamond is often confused with the cut. Choose the shape that you like based on your style and you cannot go wrong.
The cut of a diamond determines its brilliance or sparkle. Each shape will be cut differently. Before a diamond is cut, the location of inclusions and flaws, the natural colouration, and the original shape of the rough stone are studied extensively. The stone facets are then mapped out and cut in a way that maximizes size, shape, and clarity. For optimal light performance, you will want a diamond that is cut neither too shallow nor too deep.
Diamonds are graded based on the amount of colour they do or do not possess. The scale runs from D (colourless) to Z (light yellow). An absolutely colourless diamond is rare and therefore very valuable.
A diamond is distinguished by its natural characteristics, just as a person would be noted for her blue eyes or his brown hair. Noted as a diamond's clarity, these characteristics can be present on the surface (blemishes) or within the stone (inclusions). The clarity is judged by the number and types of these characteristics and is designated using a scale that runs from FL, defined as flawless, to I3, defined as inclusions visible with the naked eye. A flawless diamond is truly rare. Only about 20% of all diamonds mined have a clarity rating high enough for the diamond to be considered appropriate for use in jewellery; the other 80% are relegated to industrial use.
FL DiamondsFlawless: No internal or external flaws.
IF DiamondsInternally Flawless: No internal flaws.
VVS1, VVS2 DiamondsVery, Very Slightly included: Very difficult to see inclusions with 10x magnification.
VS1, VS2 DiamondsVery Slightly Included: Inclusions are visible under 10x magnification to a skilled grader.
SI1, SI2 DiamondsSlightly Included: Inclusions are visible under 10x magnification and may be visible with the unaided eye.
I1, I2, I3 DiamondsIncluded: Inclusions are visible with the unaided eye.
The unit of measure used for the weight of a diamond is the carat. As a matter of reference, a carat is equivalent to .2 grams or .007 of an ounce. Carat weight can also be divided further by using points. There are 100 points in one carat. So a 1/4 (.25) carat stone can also be expressed as 25 points and mean exactly the same thing. When comparing two diamonds, please note that just because one is twice the carat weight of the other does not mean that it will appear to be twice the size.
We have jewellery professionals ready to help.
Contact Us Appointment
We use these cookies to collect information about a user's visit on the website, the content a user viewed, the links a user followed and information about a user's browser, device, and IP address.
We use these cookies, often served by third parties, to send advertising information by means of creating user profiles to track a user's movement across our website.